Live The Dream

Six months. One backpack. Bring it on.

Sunday, June 18, 2006

How not to see a museum (and other Paris fun)

Last time I was in Paris, I fell in love with the city. it's unbelievably beautiful, the food is amazing, there's so much to see and do, the wine is cheap, the people are lovely, etc. I could go on all day. Everywhere you look could be a postcard picture. I was afraid this visit wouldn't live it. It has.

Day 1 - Took the overnight train (Last stop: Paris, so there was no chance of my overzealous). Went to meet Dan and Kelly, 2 friends I met while in Israel last summer. We took off for Versailles, which is pretty much a history dork's dream. The highlight was the Hall of Mirrors, which is where the Treaty of Versailles was signed. Then we went out for a gorgeous French meal, including oysters, red wine, and tartar (Kelly's, but we all tried some) among other things.

Day 2 - Dan left early in the morning, so of course Kel and I spent the day being girls - shopping! We didn't buy much, but it was a very Paris experience nonetheless. We also saw Notre Dame, and the Pantheon. For our evening meal: Crepes and McDs. In keeping with tradition though, I tried something new at McDs. Chicken wings! They were surprisingly tasty.

Day 3 - Kelly and I split up for a bit so I could see the Picasso museum, which she'd already done. It wasn't quite as nice as the Barcelona one, but it was gorgeous nonetheless. I'm not a huge art buff, but I've really gotten in to Picasso. Anyway, I lost a chunk of my camera somewhere in there. Yeah. It's just the rubber that keeps you from poking your eye out if you use the snail viewfinder (not the screen)... I have no idea how it came off, but my camera looks kind of pathetic without it. I walked through the whole museum, eyes on the floor looking for it, but no luck. Oh well, at least I still have the rest of it. I stumbled upon the Jewish neighborhood (it smelled of falafel, but I had a divine gelato instead). next was Jim Morrison's grave: Jim Morrison's grave has a guard there 24/7, to stop people from breaking in and shooting up there, according to Kelly. Dinner was had - I ate escargots.. they aren't like in Canada. They come still in the shell with a bunch of complicated cutlery for de-shelling them. And then frogs legs! I figured I had to. I wasn't a huge fan. They kind of taste of bland fish, and were kind of hard to eat. But hey, I ate frogs legs in Paris.

Tomorrow, I'm off to Amsterdam. I have no hostel booked and no train reservations. I wanna see what it's like to live on the edge. Not having a hostel booked scares the shit out of me, so I'm gonna give it a go. Wish me luck!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home