Live The Dream

Six months. One backpack. Bring it on.

Monday, June 19, 2006

Try to book ahead and never give up.

I was going to call this post "Always book ahead and never give up" but it didn't quite work out like that after all.

I woke up at some awful hour, right in time to see a lovely Paris sunrise. Said a quick goodbye to Kelly and dashed off to Gare du Nord to catch the 6:55 direct to Amsterdam. Apparently that train was full. As were all the other ones today. I could pay full price (my interrail pass allows me to travel at a steep discount) - 91 Euros. Eep. I asked about tomorrow. The (now heavily annoyed) lady said they were also full.

I left, backpack on my shoulders, in search of an internet cafe. Too bad it was 7 am and none were due to open for the next 3h. I wandered back to the train station and asked where I could catch a bus to Amsterdam. They said it was far away. A little voice in my head insisted that I was not gonna go down like that. Not today. So I hopped back in line and prayed for a different cashier. This nice guy helped me, and boom. I was on the 9:25 to Brussels, transfer there for Amsterdam. No need for a reservation. Just jump on.

I did as he said, but something felt wrong. Sure enough, the ticket taker came by and asked for my reservation ticket. Hmm. I told him the guy in Paris told me I didn't need one. He told me to give him 20 Euros. I did. It was that or pay the full price of the ride (60 Euros).

I wound up arriving in Amsterdam about 3 hours later than anticipated. I was hoping against hope that The Flying Pig hostel would have room for me. Theý're quite well known, and come highlyrecommendedd.

"Tell me you have room for me,"I begged the receptionist.
She raised an eyebrow. My heart sank. I could see myself spending the day trouping around Amsterdam, looking for a place to sleep. "We just had a cancellation".
"I love you!"

Yeah. And that's how I managed to score a spot at one of the cooler hostels around. Had I shown up at the original time, I'd never have had that spot.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad that sometimes everything does actually happen for a reason :D

Iz

Mon Jun 19, 05:26:00 PM  
Blogger Dana G said...

Ha, yeah. The whole way there I was thinking "shoulda booked ahead. Dumbass. What was I thinking?!". But yeah, not so much.

Are you still planning to maybe go to Africa next year?

Tue Jun 20, 08:24:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home