Live The Dream

Six months. One backpack. Bring it on.

Monday, July 17, 2006

And onwards to Krakow Poland, via Warsaw.

On varous reccomendations, I decided not to spend more than a day in Warsaw. I had just enough time to wander around, and admire that the city was pretty much rebuilt after WW2 because something like 85% of it was levelled. The Warsaw history museum was pretty lame - no lables in English was the most annoying bit. But there were some cool monuments and memorials, mostly to Jews and other uprisers. However, I did witness this exchange at Warsaw Ghetto uprising memorial (by the Jews in the ghetto) -
Lady: This place is a mess. You'd think they'd clean it up a bit (talking about flowers and candles left there, as well as pebble which are a Jewish cutom to leave at a memorial site)
Man: Well, to be fair, tons of visitors come here every day. Besides, the flowers are all still fresh, so obviously someone takes care of it.
Lady: Well, you would think the Jewish community would want to take care of it
Me *in my head* This is a memorial to them. They're all dead....
Gah.

Krakow is an awesome city, and I want to thank everyone who aimed me there instead of Warsaw. First of all, it's gorgeous. It's got tons of old pretty buildings. Second, it's cheap. Not as cheap as the Baltics, but cheap nonetheles. Third, the people are lovely. The town is small enough that they aren't all crabby, but it's big enough that there's always something to see/do.

On that note
- The salt mines are insane. It's like a small village underground, complete with 3 banquet halls. Some really bored/talented miners carved the place up - statues, flights of stairs, whole rooms, all in salt.
- I saw Aushwitz. I can't really say too much (what is there to say?). The day was sunny and a little too nice. My guide was a moron (reading quietly off posterboards in a heavy Polish accent does not make one a good tourguide). The whole place was creepy as hell, and I'm glad I went, but I was glad to leave. Also, who the hell would want to live in the town called Aushwitz? there are people who's backyards back on to the place...
- Did a bunch of meandering and a bunch of shopping. I didn't really buy much, but I sure enjoyed looking. What I did buy, though, kicked ass. For all those ladies in Ottawa, check out the new makeup store in the Rideau Centre. It's a Polish company and completely kicks ass.
- Completely unexpected meeup with my friend Dan, of Birthright fame. I was on MSN and so was he. He asked where I was, I said Krakow Poland. So was he. We went for perogies. He's the only person I know who I've seen in 4 different countries.
- My hostel was amazing. They had a ton of movies to watch, while laying on a big comfy couch. The best moment was likely when I dozed off beside some guy and woke up cuddling him. Whoops. But seriously, great bunch of folks there.

Anyway, keep the comments coming. I'm glad people are reading this.

I miss you all.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you little cuddle thief!!! that is hilarious!! what was his reaction and why do you know there is a new store in the rideau.. was that here when you left?
jela

Mon Jul 17, 10:10:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

gold! i was the bloke you woke up cuddling! by the way, email me back!

Sun Aug 06, 02:58:00 PM  
Blogger Dana G said...

Hahaha! Hey steveo! Thanks for the email. I think I scared the shit out of myself. What the heck!? Why am I here?! Annnyway.

Mon Aug 07, 04:09:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home