Live The Dream

Six months. One backpack. Bring it on.

Saturday, October 14, 2006

Italy with my mom, Ramona

Well, my mom has come and gone. (I know she reads this.. so HI MOM!!)

Week one: Rome - the sightseeing city
Rome was a mad dash. See! Eat! Take a picture! Next.
We saw a lot of... stuff. And cats. We discovered that the Italian food is only good if you order the following - pizza. pasta. gelato. That is all. Unfortunately, we discovered this after paying 900$(ish) for a piece of bland fish. My mom sat on the lap of a warrior and I took a picture. The hostel had 900 steps which my mom hated. We saw Pope day (Wednesdays, for anyone interested), and watched him drive around his Pope mobile. It looks like a zamboni. A big, white zamboni. Also, mom's feet hurt a lot.

Week two - Florence. The shopping city.
I estimate half our time in Florence was spent shopping. Most the rest was spent eating. On the plus side, I have a bunch of new swag, including much needed pants (trousers for the Brits). Good thing. String was holding my last pair up. We also ate bunches of good food, made sure to sample every gelateria in town, and We also did a couple of side trips. Sienna (more shopping and meandering), and Pisa. Damn that tower is tippier than I thought it would be! Also, spending an hour trying to get the perfect picture in front of the thing was fun. Mom says her favourite part was the sitting. Heh. The pint sized hotel we stayed at had the most surly receptionists of all time.

7th inning stretch - The boatride from Italy to Greece. Mom thought it'd be a big ferry with some benches. We wound up in the swankiest place we stayed all trip. Private bedroom, private bathroom. Those boats are like mini cruise ships. This one even had a pool (closed for the winter, sadly). But no buffet! Hmph.

Week three - Athens. The eating city
Mmm, Greek food. And rain. Lots of rain. We saw the important sites, and spent a lot of time eating, shopping, and chilling. Luxury is having a shower and toilet in your own hotel room - and an elevator! I thought mom would weep with joy. Also, mom started to crack. One day while eating, a group of people walked past. She looks at them and goes "Hey! Look! There's a group of people walking!". Right, mom. Thanks.

Hmm. This one has been hard to write. I guess because usually only I know the whole story, so if I skim over something it isn't a big deal. But now someone else has been with me, so if I miss something, she'll know. So, sorry if I've missed something important. I slept on the floor of a boat last night, and I'm half asleep.

And the store is called H & M, mom. Not S & M.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Dana Its Hadas,

did you get my mail?
i saw your mail late.
we would love if you would come and stay with us,

send more details when you know them

see u

Sun Oct 15, 09:44:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home