Live The Dream

Six months. One backpack. Bring it on.

Monday, August 07, 2006

Sleeping in the trees

My hostel in Budapest was one of the coolest so far. It was a little way's out of the city centre, which is great when you show up at midnight and public transportation has stopped for the evening. The hostel made up for it all, though. In a word - HAMMOCKS!! They're meant to be just for daytime chillin', but after a night of sleeping in my loudish, slightly stuffy room (not the hostel's fault, it was in the middle of a heat wave) I knew what I had to do. The next 4 nights were spent sleeping under the stars, and at a very reduced rate!

Budapest is also where Jeff B came to visit. It's so nice to see an old friend in the middle of this meeting new people a bunch of times a day. We just basically wandered, ate, drank, took some cool pictures (a little boy jamming to some bongo drummers makes for great video...) and hung out. Merci, Jeff. Glad you came out.

Budapest's busses seem to run on an honour system, until the bus inspectors show up at 1 am looking for tickets. I tried to pass off an old one, but even though the stamp looks like a serious of fully random holes to me, apparently it makes sense to them.

Inspector: You owe me a lot of money
Me: I don't have that much on me
Inspector: Well..give me your passport then.
Me: No.
Inspector: Well... get off my bus, then!
Me: Okay.

Budapest - Thermal baths, sleeping in the trees, a gigantic heat wave, bus inspectors, and the best seafood risotto I've ever had.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

dear dana:
where the hell have you been!!! i miss reading about your adventures and also miss you being online regularly. is england soooo entertaining that you are forgetting about us lowly folk back home???
miss you!
xxx

Mon Aug 28, 01:06:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home