Live The Dream

Six months. One backpack. Bring it on.

Monday, August 07, 2006

Heaven is a used English book store.

Wow, I hadn't realized it'd been this long since I'd written. Sorry, folks. I realize that reading this blog is the highlight of your day...

Umm, I think Krakow is the last thing I wrote about, so I'll carry on from there.

After that I hit Cesky Krumlov, a teeny Czech town on a river. There's a castle, and a river.. they pretty much make up all the tourist attractions. So people rent a floaty boat and drift around lazily all day. Sounds like the life, except that because I'm traveling on my own they wouldn't rent me one. And everyone at the hostel already had a partner or had already been. Heh... kind of like being the odd man out at recess or something. On the plus side, I found an English used book store. On the road, that's pure heaven. I traded in every old book I had (I always keep them until I find somewhere to trade...) and bought a big, fat one that lasted me a few decent train rides. So I sat, eating a picnic lunch and reading... ahh. Heaven. My hostel there also came with it's resident 65 year old backpacker who was telling me that I was much too uptight because I like having a Lonely Planet on me. According to him, I might as well be on a fully guided tour and not ever doing what I want. I tried explaining that a guide book is just that.. a guide. He didn't quite get it.

Vienna. Someone explain to me how there aren't more accidents there? It seems impossible to keep looking straight ahead with all the amazing buildings... Sadly, after having been in Central Europe for a while, the more westernized Vienna was quite costly. Unfortunately, eating 3 square meals of delicious Gelato a day has put me off the stuff. I haven't been able to touch it since. Hmph. I hope that goes away before Italy...

Brataslava - Is it weird to run into a bunch of people doing what appeared to be a Hebrew poetry reading at an outdoor cafe in Slovakia? Well, it was for me. Sadly, they didn't seem as excited to see me as I was to see them. Brataslava also seems to be well known for it's lack of good hostels. I stayed in a really bizarre place, it seemed to be a bunch of mattresses on the floor, strewn about some guy's house. The wonder, by the way was super-bizarre. He made me "practice" using the key to the place before he'd let me have it. And he kind of hovered over conversations. never saying anything, but never quite going away, either. I had visions of waking up and finding him watching me sleep. Eeek. When I left, I found him at the train station, harassing people to come stay with him. He then tried to convince me that my train had already gone, and I should stay another night. Lies! I spoke to some other guy, though, and he said that his hostel in Brataslava closed halfway through his stay because the building was condemned. Huh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home